*Find a comprehensive pages on Stocking the Pantry + updated New Zealand Supplies list in my Homegrown Kitchen cookbook. Available in bookstores around NZ and signed copies HERE.*
The most frequent inquiry I receive is ‘where do you source your dry goods’. Come join me, as we have a look-see into my pantry.
Stocking The Pantry
I like to have a pantry full of whole-grains, flours (including a selection of gluten-free), nuts, seeds, dried beans and lentils. Plus dried fruit and nutritious sweeteners. I like to focus on nutrient-rich and wholesome food at home, and save the less healthy foods for occasional outings.
Whole-grains / Flours / Dried Legumes
- Flour > organic white, whole meal and rye + brown rice flour, buckwheat and tapioca are the main gluten-free flours I use.
- Rolled-oats and spelt (or Arawa*)
- Whole-grains > quinoa, millet, buckwheat, polenta, basmati/ jasmine rice, brown rice and medium grain white rice for risotto/ paella.
- Dried legumes > split red lentils, green lentils (French), chickpeas, kidney beans, pinto beans
Dried Fruit / Sweeteners
- Dried fruit – dates, apricots (sulfur-free), prunes, raisins, sultanas > check packets but most ‘brown’ dried fruit are naturally sulfur-free.
- Raw honey, maple syrup, apple syrup
- Golden sugar, muscovado sugar, rapadura sugar, palm sugar
Nuts & Seeds
- Nuts > almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts
- Coconut > desiccated and flakes
- Seeds > sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, flax seeds
Condiments / Oils / Seasoning / Spices
- NZ sea salt & black pepper in a grinder
- Cocoa powder, vanilla extract, baking powder/ soda
- Vinegar > apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, balsamic
- Extra virgin olive oil + Ghee for cooking
- Tamari (soy sauce), fish sauce, sesame oil, Worcestershire sauce
Spices & Dried Herbs
- Dried herbs > dried oregano and basil > fresh thyme, parsley, rosemary, sage and bay leaves in the garden.
- Whole spices > cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander seeds, nutmeg, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom pods, cinnamon
*Find comprehensive pages on Stocking the Pantry + updated New Zealand Supplies list in my Homegrown Kitchen cookbook. Available in bookstores around NZ and signed copies HERE.*
The following is a list of New Zealand wholefood suppliers. Please note, I am not endorsing any of these suppliers (in fact none of them even know I am writing this post), instead sharing the knowledge I have gained over the years sourcing quality ingredients food for my family. Firstly, I like to support local suppliers so I start this list with my Nelson locals. However, I know many of you reading this live elsewhere so read on for other NZ-based suppliers.
Fresh2U Organic Food Delivery / Nelson – weekly organic produce boxes + bulk organic dry goods and products. Organic grower Wolfgang Mann and I set up this service in 2005 and handed it over to Lucy Maxwell in 2012. Lucy has increased the range to include dry goods and organic products.
Ceres Organics/ Auckland – wholesale bulk organic foods. A huge selection of dry goods, gluten-free products and natural health products. You do need to set up an account with Ceres either as a business (with references) or coop account (for the coop account there is a minimum monthly order – this works best if shared between 3-4 families with each family ordering on a 3-4 monthly rotation).
Chantal Organics/ Napier – wholesale bulk organic foods. You can order 500gm packs up to 25kg sacks of dry goods.
Terrace Farms/ Canterbury – Ira & Geoff grow, harvest and mill flour fresh to order. They have Otane wheat (higher gluten for bread making), Arawa wheat (lower gluten), purple wheat, rye and buckwheat (beautiful fresh buckwheat flour). Email them for a price list email@example.com
Milmore Downs North Canterbury > Biodynamic – NZ-grown wheat, spelt, rye and oats.
Bio Grains Canterbury > mostly NZ grown grains and wholefood products, chock food, flour etc.
My Bread Mix – organic flours and natural ingredients, including organic spelt flour suitable for bread making.
Canterbury Quinoa – spray-free grown by Andrew Currie at Avonmore Farm.
Kominaya Organics is an organic, whole food and health food shop in Westport on the West Coast. Including a wide variety of organic, eco-friendly and GE-free products, as well as local produce and artisan products too.
*Now this is where I would love your help to fill in the gaps so this can be resource for others. Please comment below with details of other NZ wholefood suppliers and also where you source your local wholefoods i.e. name and location of your local organic/ bulk food store. Thank-you 🙂