Mini Berry & Almond Cakes
- 75 g butter melted
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup white flour [use buckwheat or rice flour for gluten-free]
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- Zest of a whole lemon
- 3 eggs separated
- approx. 1/2 cup frozen berries I used our homegrown blackberries
- Preheat the oven 180C. Line 6 large muffin holes with muffin cases.
- Melt the butter and set aside. Combine the ground almonds, flour, sugar and zest in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites till soft peaks. Mix the egg yolks and melted butter into the dry ingredients then gently fold through the egg whites. Spoon into cases so they are almost full. Top each mini-cake with 3 or 4 berries. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Best served warm. Make a batch for morning tea to share with friends.
*Watch a video of my children and I making these mini cakes HERE.
In the garden this week
Harvesting: kale, silver beet, spinach, celery, carrots, leeks, last of the green beans, salad mix, herbs, coriander, parsley.
Tasks: The broccoli and other brassica plants are being eaten by caterpillars so I have been inspecting them daily and squashing the caterpillars on the leaves as a repellent. The numbers are declining. Spraying with weak soapy water (1 squirt of eco dish liquid in a 500ml spray bottle) seems to help to prevent the white butterflies laying eggs.
We have collected sacks of autumn leaves and mulched most of the garden beds and berry patch with leaves and cardboard/ paper where there is exposed ground. Plus sowed a lupin ‘green manure’ crop in the potato patch.