This is a quick post today to share the recipe for the oat-crusted venison burgers I took to a BBQ recently. I had a few requests for the recipe when I posted this photo on my Facebook page, so here it is. The secret ingredient in these flavoursome and tender burgers is good old homemade plum sauce. It gives the burgers a lovely sweet and sour flavour. If you don’t have plum sauce on hand any fruit chutney will do.
Oat-Crusted Burgers in Lettuce Cups
- approx. 500g venison mince I used Silver Fern Farms
- half small red onion or 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg
- 3 Tbsp homemade plum sauce or fruit chutney
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- sprig of parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper
- two large handfuls of rolled oats + extra oats for the crust
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and use your hands to combine, don't over mix or you will have tough meat. If the mixture feels 'wet' add an extra handful of rolled oats to soak up the moisture. Leave the mixture to rest for a half hour in the fridge for the oats to absorb any liquid. Then shape into palm sized burger patties. Cover a plate with extra rolled oats and gently roll each burger in the oats to form a crust. Handle them carefully as you don't want to flatten them too much.
- Serve each burger in a lettuce cup with an assortment of burger accompaniments:
Serve each burger in a lettuce cup with an assortment of burger accompaniments:
- marinated beetroot slices
- sliced gherkins
- avocado slices
- red cabbage slaw
- sliced tomato
Really anything that tickles your fancy… have a great weekend!