Orange & Carrot Cupcakes
- 1 cup flour GF: use 3/4 cup brown rice flour and 1/4 cup tapioca/ cornflour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds or other nuts or same quantity flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup unrefined sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 free range eggs
- 100 ml olive oil or melted butter
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 medium sized carrot finely grated
- Preheat oven 180C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk together. Make a well in the dry and pour in the wet mix along with the finely grated carrot.
- Fold together with a spatula until JUST combined, do not over mix or the cupcakes will be tough.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes at 180C until risen, and nice and golden on the top. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack. Decorate with lavender flowers once cool.
It is raining again… There are rumors circulating that this is the 10th weekend in a row it has rained in Nelson! We are certainly not living up to our namesake of sunny Nelson. Last year we gained the sunniest region title, which I very much doubt will be repeated this year.
I especially feel for the market stall holders (wo)maning their stalls week after week in this persistent weekend rain. The weeks are just lovely, sunny, warm, springlike and then the weekend rolls around and it rains.
What more can we do on another rainy weekend but get into the kitchen and bake. I would usually make the banana and walnut muffins from Feeding Little Tummies but today we had no ripe bananas in the fruit bowl because my 7 month old keeps devouring them. After a wet trip to the garden I decided on a cupcake using freshly picked oranges and spring carrots.